Random Thoughts

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Pet Peeve

I can't stand it - and sometimes it really bugs me. Today is one of those days.

Could someone please tell me WHY the directional on a vehicle is hardly ever used? It's NOT an OPTIONAL feature of a vehicle.

I'm not saying people should use their directional signal if they're the only people on the road for miles, turning into their driveway at 2 a.m. I'm not advocating a "blinker-happy" society. Perhaps a happy medium.

Everyone does it at one time or another - c'mon, yes you do. It might be you, the soccer Moms, executives, college students (or teenage drivers) and your neighbors just to name a few. This particular peeve knows no boundaries, race, religion or ethnicity. I admit I don't always use my directional signal - but if there's no one behind me, no one in front of me, or even sideways (highway) to me...it might be okay once in a while.

But honestly...is it SO much effort to use the directional signal in 2 lanes of traffic (or more) to let the people behind you know where the hell you're going?

I'm not stalking you - I would just prefer to NOT rear-end you. Now by that statement you might be thinking - well she's following too closely - sometimes I admit that may be the case and my own fault. HOWEVER, in most situations I happen to be behind you at the intersection along with 10 other vehicles who would like to go straight while you are waiting to turn left. But we don't know you are trying to turn left - perhaps the vehicle stalled, you've had a seizure, or you're letting someone cute cross the street. Whatever the reason may be - if you had your directional signal on - there wouldn't be any question as to why you aren't moving.

I used to think driving was a privilege, but from what I see on a daily basis, I'm not so sure anymore.

Please, please...try to use both hands while driving, remember the rules of the road. Oh yeah and those rules don't include talking on your cell phone with one hand, smoking with the other, and drinking your coffee. I know and understand the concept of multi-tasking in our modern society, but couldn't you slow down long enough to be slightly courteous to those around you?

Just try it for tomorrow, we can take it one day at a time.
Thanks.

5 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Vinny said...

I'm with you on the signal and the cell phone, but my coffee? NEVER!

 
At 9/07/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger MapleMama said...

Sierra, 2 posts in as many days?! I can hardly keep up!

I TOTALLY agree with you on directionals! Ugh! When did they become so yesterday?!

Sorry to hear about poor micro, too! Hope micro2 is treating you well!

 
At 9/09/2006 2:45 PM, Blogger Sierra Sedan said...

Sorry Bernie - I didn't mean to cross the line with the coffee drinking. I just got all worked up and lost my head. :)

MM - I know can you believe it?! Who knows maybe I'll go crazy and post again this week?! Micro2 is still in the box, but my watch battery died too. Coincidence?! I'm not sure...

 
At 9/11/2006 12:18 AM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said...

As someone who takes driving *very* seriously (and who is appalled by the behavior she sees on the road every day), I really appreciate this post. I'm with you!

 
At 9/12/2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Sierra Sedan said...

Repressed, thanks for stopping by and for the support! (Btw - I love the flower pic!) Although I have yet to comment I read your blog and enjoy it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home