Random Thoughts

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Roses v. Thorns

I am starting to believe people's destiny is planned before you're born. There are people who land in a bed of roses almost every time. And then there are people who get stuck with a thorn most of the time. I tend to fall into the thorn category. This is only a couple of examples of roses v. thorns, but I may come back to this topic in the future.

Case in point today...A friend of mine won an autographed baseball and baseball bat from Jason Varitek. I have been a Red Sox fan my entire life, it was passed down in my family (my Mom's family). Jason Varitek is one of 2 favorites I have on the team. Now, this friend that won the items is also a huge Red Sox fan, but he was slightly disappointed when he didn't win 1st prize - tickets to a game. It was a raffle at work that he participated in and he was slightly disappointed in the 2nd or 3rd place prize. We don't work in the same place, so I couldn't buy tickets to participate in the raffle. He has had more rose piles (in the time I've known him) than thorn piles.

Another friend of mine (also today) received an autographed picture of Jon Bon Jovi. She was recently at 2 shows in the front row both times - there's another couple of thorns. Basically the woman she was standing next to - is an aquaintance of the band, and hooked her up with the personalized picture. However, in her defense this friend of mine has had MANY thorns in her life. I just find it funny that today proved to be an especially thorny day for me.

I don't begrudge them the moments in the sun (maybe a little). I do admit I had a "green-eyed monster" moment at the office today upon hearing this news. Of course my office is a thorn for me...another topic for another day. I'm not saying I have always had bad luck, but my good luck is very few and far between. I don't really know how to change my thorns into roses. I realize this isn't going to change the world, but if there's plenty of happiness to go around - I'd like my share. I know it sounds selfish or self-indulgent, but if you know me - I'm really not like that. I'm not asking for much, just don't kick me when I'm down.

Thanks for reading or "listening" to my...Random Thought...

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 2:24 AM, Blogger MapleMama said...

I guess I've been fairly lucky to be about 60% roses/40% thorns, I'd say.

But just think - do those people have a cool blog like you? Put on in the roses column, Sierra!

BTW - can I call you Sierra, or is it Ms. Sedan?

 
At 8/02/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Sierra Sedan said...

That percentage sounds right - I'd even go an extra 5% of roses for ya. The roses are different in your world (good different) then the others mentioned. I think they might be less thorny and have more blooms. :)

You can call me almost anything - but here - go with Sierra. :) It's less formal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home