Random Thoughts

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Modern Technology/Appliance Neglect

If you're waiting for the rest of my 100 things (or the last 40) - keep waiting. This isn't about that. It's about something else.

I've been neglecting my blog for a while, my own fault. I haven't had computer problems, and my hands are not broken. I haven't made any scientific breakthroughs on the design of my blog(obviously), although there is still work to be done. It's not my computer's fault at all (but just in case PC is mad, sorry PC - you rock!)

I would really prefer to blog while I'm at work, since I'm already on the computer. However, my employer frowns upon that and I need the benefits and paycheck for now. So by the time I get home and settled in, I really don't want to turn on the home computer. I think of topics at work (my collection of post-it notes is growing). Then I sort of format them in my head, but once I get here - poof, a bright shiny object distracts me. (oh yeah, that would be the disco ball, which I still haven't taken down - refer to my very first blog.)

This technological piece of equipment is not the only one suffering in my life. Poor iPod - she's been charging all weekend and I didn't give her any quality time either. There are tunes to dump, new ones to download and some to do over. (ooo - do overs - another future topic.)

My cell phone should be charged, but it's in the car and I didn't leave the house today. I don't get many calls on it, but it's nice for me to have when I want to order take-out and not use my stove or microwave.

Three appliances not showing signs of neglect this weekend are my washer, dryer and television. It was time to show them the love. Who am I kidding? My tv gets love all the time. I watch movies on DVD, movies on tv, movies I have on DVD on tv. Sometimes I just have the tv on for background noise. I watch sports...currently the US Open, but usually baseball. I watch hour long dramas and sitcom comedies, even during the summer when I know they are reruns. However, let me be clear, in my downtime I am not always a couch potato.

As for my washer and dryer...it seems like I always have some form of laundry to do. Have I mentioned I live alone?! It's not like I'm doing laundry for the neighborhood, I wear the same clothes over and over. I'd like to be a clothes horse, but then I just think about how much more laundry I'd have to do. Today's wash included clothes for work, sheets, pillowcases and blankets. Don't even get me started on the fact that I need a blanket on my bed in August. That just depresses me.

I'll try to be more regular about using all of the modern technology I have available to me, but they are all going to have to wait their turn. I am only one person.
I'm going to shut off the tv now. :)

3 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 11:15 PM, Blogger MapleMama said...

Great post, Sierra!

We should let our iPod's charge together - that way they wouldn't get lonely.

My biggest tech issue lately has NOT been neglect, but failure. My ATM card (the one I didn't lose) was supposedly reprogrammed to carry both of my accounts - only now - I can't access either. My smartphone/PDA completely crashed and when I did a hard reboot, everything was gone. My home laptop - which used to hang if you switched applications while a web page was loading - now hangs during the login screen. My work computer - which has been dying a slow death for 6 months - now gives me BIOS "system battery low" black screens of death!

So Sierra, love your technilogy while you can...or it might just bite you in the...

 
At 8/30/2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Vinny said...

Oh, Sierra...

I feel your pain. I love all of my tech, but now I wonder if I have the energy to maintain it all. For the ease it brings you, there is a significant amount of behind-the-scenes effort to make it run.

Updating iTunes (mine and 2 kids, as I moderate their music), syncing your Palm (just got rid of my LifeDrive and went back to a T3), defragging your computer(6), filtering your email (6 accounts), charging the phones (2), updating the blog (2), making podcasts (1 for now, 1 in planning).

Some days, late in the evening, when I read a book (ha- like I have TIME for that) I wonder what farming might be like...

 
At 9/02/2006 12:55 AM, Blogger Sierra Sedan said...

MM - The tech failures are not your fault...hmmm....or are they? Maybe you have such a magnetic personality - it hurts all technology within your reach.

Oh Bernie - I feel YOUR pain. After reading about your technology - clearly my neglect isn't so bad as trying to keep up with you. Now as for you and farming...well I can't help but giggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home